The World Federation for Animals (WFA) advocates for animal protection and welfare at the United Nations level. It is a new umbrella organisation for animal protection groups all around the world. The WFA is a member-based organisation and maximises the efforts and resources of the animal protection movement as a whole, uniting the movement by sharing information and developing focus on key policy issues impacting animals.
We are currently looking for a Communications Officer to join the secretariat.
The Communications Officer’s tasks include:
- Liaising with the policy staff and converting policy messages into newsworthy content to feature
- Creating a constant & consistent stream of content to be featured on the WFA website and social media channels including written stories, videos, promotions and graphics/memes
- Maintaining a content calendar of current stories and videos in progress as well as upcoming stories, videos and story ideas
- Coordinating the working group of our members’ comms staff to disseminate joint WFA messages and provide them with visuals
- Posting blogs (own or by guest writers) to the WFA website, including translations as required
- Posting stories and/or videos to WFA’s social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Respond to questions/comments as needed
- Creating visuals and video clips as requested
- Monitoring social media performance and stats, benchmarked against competitors
- Covering all media actions for the international conference to be held in October 2021
- The communications officer reports directly to the Chief Strategy Officer
- Knowledge of animal issues in a systems-change way of thinking and especially familiarity with policy work on animal welfare
- Professional experience with social media
- Experience in creating graphics and videos, as well as website design and development
- Experience with HootSuite, Photoshop or similar (memes), iMovie or Premier Pro (basic video editing), basic knowledge of HTML (backend website work)
- Seasoned, journalistic-style writer and editor accustomed to working at a fast pace
- Familiar with AP Style and British spelling and grammar; able to adhere to org style guide.
- Creative thinker, problem solver, good organisation skills
- Pleasant, easy-going work style
- Independent, self-starter accustomed to working in a member-based organisation and as part of a small team based in several places of the world
What we offer
- WFA is a new organisation that is still in the phase of developing the secretariat. The legal entity is based in the USA, but a branch in Brussels will soon be opened. The plan is that the communications officer will be on the payroll (and preferably be based) in Belgium. Until that time we can offer a freelance contract for 6 months, with the intention that it will be prolonged.
- Part time – 50%
- A very engaged and dynamic team
- A pioneering environment where staff can and should be creative
Please send your letter of motivation and CV before 2 April to email@example.com.
You should hear from us before 9 April if you are shortlisted. Interviews are planned to be held in the week of 12 April 2021.
published 18 March 2021