Based in Europe/Africa.
The World Federation for Animals was launched in February 2021 by 19 founding organisations and aims to become the focal point for the animal protection movement’ international policy advocacy. The vision of the World Federation for Animals is a world in which animal sentience is respected; and all animals live a good life, with their well-being protected.
We aim to deliver on this vision by convincing global leaders and institutions to improve the well-being of all animals and end their exploitation and suffering. Our daily work consists of policy research, analysis and information sharing, coordinating advocacy agendas and representing our members and the animal’s voices towards the United Nations and occasionally other intergovernmental organisations.
We are now looking for a policy officer with a special focus on UN Environment and UNEA 5.2. Under the supervision of our Policy Director, you will be leading a Thematic Cluster on Nature for Human and Ecosystem Health, ensuring the representation of animals within the proceedings and coordinating the advocacy efforts of WFA member organisations at UNEA 5.2.
Moreover, you will be supporting the advocacy for a UNEA resolution on Animal Welfare for a Healthy, Humane and Sustainable Environment with a specific focus on Europe. You will also be providing basic support to the Policy Director on various other policy initiatives, including representing WFA at virtual international meetings appropriate to your timezone and facilitating preparatory meetings for animal protection organisations and WFA members.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Develop advocacy strategies and policy papers
- Engage WFA members to support the UNEA 5.2 lobby initiatives
- Advise on appropriate lobby and communications tools
- Undertake lobby activities yourself as appropriate
- Represent WFA at international meetings as needed
- Support the Policy Director, including through scheduling, note-taking and agenda-setting for various preparatory meetings
Work Hours & Benefits
This is a full time position for at least 12 months. We offer a comprehensive and competitive compensation package. We are looking for someone in the CEST/EAT zones. We started the World Federation virtually and the job can be home based, but regular international travel must be expected and with a staff around the world also irregular working hours.
Qualifications / Skills
- Relevant educational qualifications and experience
- Fluent in English and ideally other languages – spoken and written.
- Ability to communicate in political and institutional circles
- Ability to engage and motivate people
- Preferably a good knowledge of animal welfare issues
- A good knowledge of the global Institutions
- Analytical but practical thinker
Please apply before the 25th June using this link.